Skip to main content

tv   Media Buzz  FOX News  September 20, 2015 8:00am-9:01am PDT

8:00 am
tuesday, meets the chinese leader on saturday. that would do it for "sunday morning futures." thank you so much for joining us. i'm back on tuesday after jury duty on monday. here's where have a great sunday, guys. on the buzz meter donald trump blames the media for slamming his question to not correct a questioner who called president obama a muslim and not american, and he's back making the case on the sunday shows. is that an important story? this after the media pronounced carly fiorina the undisputed winner of this debate, in part for taking on trump, acts at a -- >> the big name from last night, carly fiorina. >> caroly fiorina was phenomenal. >> yes, i loved carly fiorina. i think she had a hugely powerful moment that everybody loved. >> she was in another league last night. >> she owned this debate from the beginning to the end.
8:01 am
>> mr. touch, why would you be better at creating jobs? >> i can only say this, she can't run any of my companies, that i can tell you. >> ran up a mountain of debt using other people's money and forced to file for bankruptcy, not one, not twice, four times, a report four times. >> are the pundits again too quick to write off trump, did moderator go too far in pushing to prod. and they have used -- >> thank you d. governor christie's name has been invoked. i would look to give him the 30 seconds opportunity. >> jake, just one more moment. >> jake. >> jake, you haven't heard -- >> we're going to go to dana bash. >> no, no. >> did cnn let the three-hour debate get out of control. hillary clinton makes her
8:02 am
late-night debut. >> he never let me touch his hair. you want to touch mine? of course. go ahead. >> it's real. it's real. >> does that help her struggling campaign? pope francis is in cuba today. about to visit america, how much of the media loves this trailblazing pontiff. plus jenna lee takes on conan o'brien over an incredibly tasteless joke that likened her to a porn star. why she feels compelled to speak out. and this is "mediabuzz." the media notice pouncing on donald trump for what he didn't say. cable news constantly covering a moment at a new hampshire town hall when he failed to challenge this man. >> we have a problem in this
8:03 am
country called muslims. we know our current president is one. you know he's not even an american. but anyway, we have training camps growing where they want to kill us. that's my question, when can we get rid of them? >> we'll be looking at a lot of different things. a lot of people are saying that and that bad things are happening out there. >> you just don't pander to every loud mouth in your audience. >> this is racist crap, of course, and to me the big original sin of donald trump. >> joining us to talk about in uproar and cnn's handling, mercedes schlapp, a columnist and former white house aide to george w. bush. >> andrea mccarren, and a former correspondent for nbc and abc and joe trippi, fox news contributor. march says, huge madia moment over that.
8:04 am
are the media justified in saying that trump should have corrected this crazy guy? >> it's not the media's role to justify what trump or trump should not say. again, they became sort of this opinion voice out there basically saying, you know what? he's a racist. his comment was incorrect. he should have challenged the man. here's the deal. donald trump will play his own game, in fact, those voters are basically saying, go at it, you don't need to respond to the media's criticism. >> he went uncharacteristically silent for about 24 hours. he's tweeting, the media wants to make it a -- is he able to defuse it by blaming the press? >> no, he's not, howie. i should say, unlike some journalists, i am willing to
8:05 am
give him the benefit of the doubt. he could have easily deflected that moment, by handling it like john mccain did in 2008. he did not. he had a unique responsibility to answer to that question. why? because he's spent so much time and effort trying to tell american voters that president obama was not an american. >> whenever that has come up, trump has deflected it, but not renounced what he has said about the birth certificate. he was on "late edition" calling into three sunday shows on abc, cnn, nbc, pretty much saying the same thing. >> and the presses going crazy. i said, you know, for the first time in my life, i got in trouble by not saying anything.
8:06 am
i didn't say anything. am i mortgagely obligated to defend the president every time somebody says something bad or controversial about him? i don't think so. right? >> and the presses going crazy, as trump said. >> i think this exposes bias of the press. the fact is we're covering the republican primary, and nearly 50% of the republican primary voters believe what donald trump is saying. that's who he's played to for the last two years. >> this is not somebody trashing the president. it is a fact that president obama, according to his birth certificate was born in hawaii in 1961. and also a fact he's attended christian church, including the once with reffend jeremiah wright, so you're saying the presses showing bias by not
8:07 am
correcting the facts? >> no, but the focus of this is not how appalled how the press should be, it's how does this impact the primary. it can't hurt him in he's appealing to the 50% of republican that believe there. >> there's aung expect ache with trump that he need to respond in a certain way. trump does not need to defend the president, does not need to be the president's spokes penn. the president can do it on his own. i think it's unfair to constantly have this expect that trump will correct these statements or challenge the -- >> so you two agree that the presses out of line here? >> i think they're focusing on the wrong thing. where are the other people of the republican party. it's not his response to -- it should be somebody's responsibility, and some of the republicans are doing just that.
8:08 am
>> it is our responsibility to follow up. >> i agree with that, but don't have that expectation that donald trump has to respond in a certain way because it's not good enough. >> there's a tone to it. >> i knew watching, and you probably did, too, the second this happened. this had be the bite that will be played again. >> look at that face, would anyone vote for that? >> it's interesting to me, mr. trump said that he he heard mr. bush very clearly. i think women all over this country heard clearly what mr. trump said.
8:09 am
>> i think she's got a beautiful face, and i think she's a beautiful woman. >> and i think you have a beautiful face as well. >> and keep clapping on that statement. >> she had a great night, no question. but as we played earlier, everybody just gushing over carly fiorina, going a little overboard here? >> no, i think clearly she won that debate, but i think it was fine for the media to make that statement. >> when you start looking at the stories that trickled out the other day, now she has to worry about campaign structure. >> some people did that but the cumulative effect i think helped her -- >> you agree with rush limbaugh
8:10 am
who basically said the news media is trying to pick our candidates and carly is the flavor of the week. >> i'm not picking in candidate. >> she god asked this question -- why didn't you smile? >> wasn't that absolutely absurd? you know, part of the media gushing over carly fiorina had a down side, which is she's held to a ridiculous double standard. >> you're saling a male candidate doesn't get that question. >> did anybody can scott walker or marco rubio didn't smile? ben carson didn't smile that much. nobody talks about their wardro wardrobe. >> there are sour grapes a little bit. >> but the flip side of the positive press, much of it deserved by a press corps that
8:11 am
wrote her off at the beginning is trump was hurt by this, he had a bad night, looked uncomfortable. and i wonder if once again the pundits are too quick to write off. >> if 24, 22 million people are watching this debate, i think donald trump is right, that a vast majority are tuning in to see him. if they're tuning in to see him, 18 million are tuning in to see him, you're not going to move the numbers as ump as pun duties who sit back who are sure she won. >> it's got from trump-mania to carly-mania. that has an effect several of these organizations came out,
8:12 am
and they're not scientific polls he would use those in his tweets. >> the overall preference, trump 24%, carly rocketing to 15%, second place in that poll. finally ben carson on "meet the press" said he would not advocate that a muslim become the president of the united states. is this going to blow up in the next 24 hours, because he's talking about a whole group of people? ? >> i think it's going to blow up, but i think again in the perspective of a republican primary, where my guess is there's a huge piece that believes exactly what carson said, that's what's going on here. >> and keep in mind all of donald trump's controversial statements blew up, and it worked for him. so it is possible that ben carson wanted some attention on his campaign. >> this is what i mean about the
8:13 am
liberate bias. i would be appalled by that statement, but i'm not a republican primary voter. let me get a break. don't forget to tweet me with your thoughts and messages. ahead, fox as jenna lee on the dirty joke that conan obrian told about her and why she's fighting back. and did the debate veer out of control? sthoo pain continues to linger.
8:14 am
but after a long day of helping others, he gets some helpful advice. just two aleve have the strength to keep back pain away all day. today, jason chose aleve. aleve, all day strong. and try aleve pm, now with an easy open cap.
8:15 am
misswill turn anan asphalt parking lot into a new neighborhood for san franciscans. a vote for "yes" on "d" is definitely a vote for more parks and open space. a vote on proposition "d" is a vote for jobs. campos: no one is being displaced. it's 40% affordable units near the waterfront for regular people. this is just a win-win for our city. i'm behind it 100%.
8:16 am
voting yes on "d" is so helpful to so many families in our city. from and the people whought you underwhelbrought youet speeds. temperamental satellite television. introducing... underwhelming internet speeds and temperamental television... in one. welcome to the moment no one's been waiting for. the fastest internet and the best tv experience is already here with x1. only from xfinity. . politico called it the three-hour debate from hell. "new york daily news" ripped it as clown network. that's harsh. jake tapper he did exactly what he said he would do constantly
8:17 am
push, prod the candidates to take each other on. >> you dismissed him as an entertainer. would you feel comfortable with donald trump's finger on the nuclear code. governor bush told me last week when i ran him the quote from governor jindal, that he agrees you're not a serious candidate. tell donald trump why his ideas on taxes are wrong. you're a pediatric neurosurgeon, would mr. trump top saying this? >> andrew, the whole approach was round up everything bad they said about each other. did it work? >> i guess it worked to some extent, but it felt more like reality television. i'm not sure that serves the american people. they care about jobs, the economy, terrorism, health care, what we're going to do to help our veterans. i don't think by goading these candidates into school-yard bullying necessarily helped the people understand where they
8:18 am
stand in terms of policy. some of it was substantive, but a very different style that fox news used, and it wasn't he said this about you, so your thoughts? >> i love to make this comparison. if the fox news debate was about catholic school, very routine, but you go to the cnn debate and it was montessori school. unstructured. how do you feel? let 'talk about personals? i think both have benefits, though. >> the most-used word of the night was jake, jake, jake. it should not have been. >> before i get to that, one of the entertaining aspects of this debate is the many faces of donald trump. he had these great reaction shots.
8:19 am
did it seem to you that it was out-of-control? >> jake tapper did exactly what he said he was going to do, mix it up. i think the problem with that twofold, one -- it was set up this way by cnn for them to go after each other, so hillary clinton and barack obama suffered almost no blows at all because of the way it was structured. then at the other one, they didn't get to, some of the issue that is i agree voters would have been interested in, because they hadn't been beating up each other on the economy. >> and joe, they also didn't get much to mike huckabee and scott walker and rubio getting as few as two or three substantive questions. the front-runners always get more time, but -- >> if he hadn't said anything bad about anybody, there was no
8:20 am
reason to ask you a question. >> interesting. >> you're right. >> there were three moderator, also dana bash, the chief accomplice cal correspondent for cnn, and hugh hewitt. then there was this moment. let's play it for the viewers. >> and he said today that donald trump is maybe the best interview there is anywhere that he's ever done. now, unless he was just saying that to be nice, but he did say that. >> you're the best savior in america. >> and we had a legitimate misunderstanding of a pronunciation of a word. >> what do you make of that? >> i think we may see a kinder, gentler trump in the days away, when you think about how gracious he was in the spin room. >> everybody has a crush on trump to a certain extend. >> he used the best interview in america.
8:21 am
>> you watch even any of these television, when they're interviewing trump, it's a sense they're fascinated by what he's saying. >> donald trump is the gift that keeps on giving to media. >> i wish there had been some fact checking of the gop debate, for example, when jeb bush, when he talked about trump and his people pushing for a florida casino project. well, he did, but we didn't learn that during the debate. >> that will always happen in debates, and that's where the press does come in. >> does joe trippi have a crush on trump? >> i think mildly. mildly. >> no, i would like to see trump get the nomination. >> i bet you would.
8:22 am
all right. we've got to go. thank you so much for joining us. with the pope about to visit the united states, will the media love fest reach a whole new level. and hillary clinton yucked it up on "the tonight show." [ school bell rings ] ♪ [ female announcer ] everything kids touch at school sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. you handle life; clorox handles the germs.
8:23 am
you handle life; can a a subconscious. mind? a knack for predicting the future. reflexes faster than the speed of thought. can a business have a spirit? can a business have a soul? can a business be...alive?
8:24 am
8:25 am
hillary clinton was on "face the nation" this morning answering questions about benghazi among other subjects. her first sunday morning show. so she is finally coming out of her self-imposed bunkers dealing where e-mail fiasco, that might not be damaging her as much if they had engaged earlier. buzz she's gotten 1,000 times more replace on "the tonight show." >> i know you're about to go out
8:26 am
for a interview with jimmy fallon, he's a total lightweight. i'm going to do you a favor and interview you instead. >> that's great. i'm really curious, donald, was your stance on women's issues. >> look, i know a lot of women, and they all have issues. but fallin's actual questions were powderpuff. he he pulled her hair and a selfie with kardashian, and the e-mail thing? >> can you just say what's in the e-mails? if you tell us what's in the e-mails, i'll get over it. >> yeah. yeah. most people have gotten board after reeling about 10 or 12. >> the headline should be grandma knows how to use e-mail. >> nothing wrong with candidates going on late-night shows that they've been done since bill clinton played the sax ofolks on
8:27 am
arsenio fall. could he at least pretend to ask a few southbound stan tiff questions? carly fiorina gets her turn doerm night. ahead on "mediabuzz," a sick joke compares jenna lee to a porn star, the fox anchor or why she couldn't let it pass. first, donald trump continues to dom nailed the air waves, including? this morning, but is that unfair to the other candidates? at old dominion, we see freight... ...as a combination of products and customers. every on-time arrival is backed by thousands of od employees, ...who make sure the millions of products we ship arrive without damages. because od employees treat customer service... ...like our most important delivery. od. helping the world keep promises.
8:28 am
withof my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis... ordinary objects often seemed... intimidating. doing something simple... meant enduring a lot of pain. if ra is changing your view of everyday things orencia may help. orencia works differently by targeting a source of ra early in the inflammation process. for many, orencia provides long-term relief of ra symptoms. it's helped new ra patients and those not helped enough by other treatments. do not take orencia with another biologic medicine for ra due to an increased risk of serious infection. serious side effects can occur including fatal infections. cases of lymphoma and lung cancer have been reported. tell your doctor if you're prone to or have any infection like an open sore, the flu, or a history of copd, a chronic lung disease. orencia may worsen your copd. if you're not getting the relief you need... ask your doctor about orencia. orencia. see your ra in a different way.
8:29 am
8:30 am
the cable airs having so filled with live coverage of trump's speeches, he jokingly complained he has to keep writing the new ones. >> george will is a disaster. the guy is a disaster. honestly? another one, karl rove. no, he's terrible. terrible.
8:31 am
he's terrible. he still think that is mitt romney won. >> the press, you want last night in dallas that generally speak, unfair to you. do you really believe that? or was that hyperbole? >> no, no, i think generally speaking, unfair. i met some reporters who are horrible human beings and liars. i've dealt with some extremely honorable, talented and really good. >> i sat down with ron fournier. >> welcome. >> thanks for having me. >> there's a lot of chatter that the media made donald trump, baas a lot of their speeches are getting on the air. is it much more complicated? >> much more complicated. the establishment made donald trump, even the we have
8:32 am
all let down voters. voters are upset with the political and mildia elite. they've created this huge vacuum for somebody to step in and sabrate the hunger. but then it gets more complicated after that. >> trump knows how to drive a news cycle, be interesting, entertaining, bombastic, insulting enough to when he gives a press conference, it's not the typically carefully calculated politics-speak, and that does get ratings. >> there's some symmetry in the needs of the voters and the med media. they love clarity. he gives us both of that. and our culture has celebrit celebrity-i
8:33 am
celebrity-ized. and we love things new. >> and boy, do voters want something new, to my earlier point. in addition, our biggest bias isn't that we're necessarily liberal or republican, though there is a political bias, but the biggest bias, as you know, are ratings, conflict and clips. so writers, we like our click, you guys have the ratings, and well all have a bias towards conflict. donald trump is giving us all of those things, yet people would say we fall for that. "wall street journal" cited a study for basically the three months he's been running, cnn out there with 2,159 records compared to half of that on jeb bush. fox news about a third more, msnbc just slightly more trump than bush. so my question is however we might justified it, have we
8:34 am
reached a point where it's fundamentally unfair to the other candidates. >> i don't know. the numbers are out of whack, but he is the front-runner. >> and if scott walker was the front-runner? >> we would be spending this much attention on him. >> oh, come on, every speech and press conference would be carried love? >> maybe not to the same degree, but when the front-runner gets in front of the target, it can go both ways. don't forget, our number one fundamental mission is supposed to be to hold these folks accountable. us pulling our punching and steps bay and saying we're going to ignore hint isn't what we should be doing. >> and he's constantly doing interviews.
8:35 am
he talks to newspaper reporters and gets in all the stories. >> maybe that's something a candidate could learn from. it can hurt you, but it also can help you. this is the age of transparency. when all of our leaders are in our living room. well, why? donald trump figures that out. there has been constant call for him, is the press pumping this up? a lot of the pundits, established media does not like donald trump. >> but that may be part of the reason, but when a candidate, especially a front-runner that is saying things that are wrong
8:36 am
and feeding ignorance and not feeding the truth, it's our job to jump on it. >> why are you surprised he didn't? >> because the moment sees right. >> and that he didn't say it tells you something about him. >> the story of these times is the voter's anger with politics. whether he lasts two weeks or two terms, that anger will not go away. we had need to cover that. >> ron fournier, thank you for joining us. >> appreciate you having me, man. after the break, pope francis just wrapped up his mass in cuba, heading to washington on tuesday. is the popular pontiff a media master? later, everyone likes this is on facebook, but a "did i like" button is coming.
8:37 am
is that an awful idea in
8:38 am
test. test. tezcjx test. test.
8:39 am
when a moment spontaneously turns romantic, why pause to take a pill? and why stop what you're doing to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use, is the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain,
8:40 am
as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. insurance coverage has expanded nationally and you may now be covered. contact your health plan for the latest information. . pope francis just finished mass in revolution square. tens of thousands attended. he will arrive here in washington two days from now, with a packed schedule arranging from a white house visit to an address to congress, with a meeting at poor people at cath click charities. how has this pope used the media
8:41 am
to spread his message? lauren green is here, and here in washington father thomas reese. and lauren green, the pope has mesmerized much in the world, myself included. "new york times" yesterday a huge piece, a humble pope challenging the world. so how much of his impact is due to the way the media covering him. >> i think the media is having a bit of an identity crisis. they like his personal touch, humble appeal, but they tent to ignore the things much more conservative. remember the phrase catholics don't need to breed like rabbits? everybody knew about that, but how many reported on the effect that he said the choices not to have children is selfish. this is the problem covering that. think like the liberal things,
8:42 am
the things that appeal to them, but the things that are out pope benedict's playbook. >> when he talks about climate change, when the pope talks about easing sort of the fast tracking of marriage anullments, a year in which it's easier for women to be forgiven or absore for having an abortion. do some of the more conservative positions get minimized or ignor ignored? >> the pope himself said he doesn't want to obsess or abortion, gay marriage or birth control. he's already made clear the priorities he wants to emphasize are care for the poor, care for the environment, working for peace around the world. these have been his priorities from the very beginning. now, has he changed the church's teaching on these other issues? absolutely not. >> but he's changed the tone.
8:43 am
>> he's changed the priorities. absolutely changed the tone. it's a more welcoming tone, not a judgmental tone that we had in the past. >> are you suggesting that the pope says things seen as more conservati conservative, they are sort of deliberately played down by the press or maybe subconsciously, because many journalists lean left and like the message? >> i think it's both. one of the things he said in his homily in cuba just today, he talked about the logic of love. how can you talk about the logic of love? that's what pope francis is all about. he's got this understanding of how to love people, and he's not legislate go of -- he's not saying they're mutually exclusive. they're really brought together. this is a message that's very hard for i think media to grasp on to, because it doesn't fit into categories. they like need boxes to put
8:44 am
people. are you a liberal? are you a conservative? republican? democrat? pope francis just flies over both of those therms, and i think the media is having a hard time figuring out what he is about. >> a lot have spoken out for his treaties on climate change. so while he is here, will he to some extent get embroiled in left/right politics? >> i think he wants to be above politics. he doesn't want to choose sides in partisan debate that we have in this country. on the other hand he comes as a moral leader, a prophet. he has to challenge this. that's part of his job description, how wer we should care for the immigrants and care for the environment. some people will not like to hear that, but he's been talking about the issues ever since he first got elected.
8:45 am
>> lauren, i am truck by the fact that he has given a number of interviews, on twitter in nine different languages. at the same time he is an argentinian who has never been to america before. so will this visit to here to d.c., new york and philadelphia change that to some degree? >> it might. the question is, is america going to change pope francis or is pope francis going to change america? his whole economic sense, his understanding of wealth and poverty has to do with his experiences in latin america, where you have extremes of wealth and poverty. he does not see the middle class or a poor person's picking themselves up by the bootstraps and achieving something in america that sort of this land of liberty gives people that opportunity. he's nobody the exposed to that. he's been exposed to an
8:46 am
oppressive ruling class that oppresses the poor. that's hi understanding it. >> this is very much a conversation to be continued with heavy coverage that pope francis will be getting during thinks forthcoming week. lauren green, father thomas green, thanks very much for stopping by. ahead, a british actress says the debate tempted her to give up her citizenship, but there's a reason jenna lee asked her fans what dress should she wear. her response to conan obrian's offensive sense of humor, in a moment. today, jason is here to volunteer
8:47 am
to help those in need. when a twinge of back pain surprises him. morning starts in high spirits but there's a growing pain in his lower back. as lines grow longer, his pain continues to linger. but after a long day of helping others, he gets some helpful advice. just two aleve have the strength to keep back pain away all day. today, jason chose aleve. aleve, all day strong. and try aleve pm, now with an easy open cap.
8:48 am
8:49 am
we figure you probably don't have time to wait on hold. that's why at xfinity we're hard at work, building new apps like this one that lets you choose a time for us to call you. so instead of waiting on hold, we'll call you when things are just as wonderful... [phone ringing] but a little less crazy. we're doing everything we can to give you the best experience possible. because we should fit into your life. not the other way around. the women who work at fox news have to deal with their share of jokes, but the other
8:50 am
night cbs' conan o'brien went way off the top. >> this book just didn't sell. fox news anchor or porn star? >> that is jenna lee on the cover of that bog us book. she decided to speak out. this trashy comments is not only inappropriate, but clearly ridiculo ridiculous. some women feel the need to dress and look like porn stars. i won'ter where they get that idea? could it be the more followers they get? my body should never be more important than my body of work, and i'm not done building the latter. i spoke to the coanchor of "happening now" from new york. >> hi, howie. >> why have you decided to speak out so strongly. >> in our business, our line of work, you have to have a great sense of things roll off your back. makes you rtain point, i
8:51 am
accompli complicit. make it was just a random tuesday and i felt like i needed to say something. but this was thez6su moment tha felt like i couldn't berx"o sil about it. >> i think it really resonated.l now, you have a masters from the journalism school, you've interviewed presidential candidates, gone behind the scenes with the fbi. what you accomplish professionally, some people will say, yeah, she's on tv because she's a pretty face. %m%=9 is a visual medium. people will look at how you look. that comes with the territory andh worried about that. i do want to make sure that i continue to do a lot of really interesting projects because at the end of the day the viewer is the most important. we want to make sure we put the best product out there. part of that is looking good and looking proeflsal, but part ofc that isiuj%utu(r'g a greatel[ product. >> right. j=bpyou know. distractions as you say in the facebook post that you dress cob serve tiffly. you also say some women in tvt$
8:52 am
news do dress like porn stars.7s so my question is, does the z-=ú culture, auz hinted at, u encourage that? does sex sell when it comes to tv? >> i don't believe in the culture making anyone do anything. i think it is really important that women take full responsibility and are fully accountable for the decisions that they make on television because, as you mentioned, we're dealing with a lot of different variables. and people do focus on how we look. i would encouragir all women an i would encouragir all women an especially the/n that i'vektñ talked to really frequently to think about how they're presenting kqáñthemselv. because it do/etmatter. and i've made mistakes in the ov past, howie. sometimes i look back at what i wore when i start firsted on the air, i think the skirts were too short. you learn from that and realize, that's not how i want to look. >> why did you do that? were you trying to impress the bosses or the audience? >> i certainly wasn't the style was the skirts were really short. you kind of follow the style and
8:53 am
figure out what#jdñ works on television. also i was a lot younger, in my mid-20(s.t÷ mid-20se different decisions. i think i will be comfortable with a longerék hemline from no on. >> it must be frustrating to work as hard as you do at your job and have this porn star joke made. do you think you an apology? >> i don't think so. he was trying to be funny. he failed clearly. a lot of the viewers that weighed in also thought it wasn't really that funny. but i think my point has been received really well. and a lot of young women and even some of the men around the office have commented that they really appreciated my response. i go back to something that wen see in news very often, howie, that bad behavior is allowed because good people don't say anything. i felt this was a really good opportunity to say something, and i hope thatçx young women out there that are trying to come up in whateverypç career, that they're attemptingz to, really think about what it n and to be successful and realize
8:54 am
that they don't have to dress provocatively to be a success one day. >> i think yourf message has really resonated. by the way, nice dress. jenna 3k thank you for joining us. >>v thank you. good for jenna. we'll be right back.aá$ ♪ [ female announcer ] everything kids touch at school sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. you handle life; clorox handles the germs. you handle life; at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like ordering wine equals pretending to know wine. pinot noir, which means peanut of the night.
8:55 am
test. test. test.
8:56 am
8:57 am
i ask you every week to like our facebook page. still a good idea, by the way. but now facebook is planning to add something more to akin to a thumbs down. >> i think people have asked about the dislike button for many years. we didn't want to just build a dislike button because, you know, we don't want to turn
8:58 am
facebook into a forum where people are voting up or down on people's posts, right? >> someone told me you like the idea of a dislike button. most said it would make the social network more negative. i tend to agree it would make the site more polarizing. for those of you who need a button to say you hate stuff, your moment is coming. christa cooper says, no, i didn't notice any demands for obama to apologize for all the stuff his followers say, often much worse. alex says, why is it trump's problem to stand up for obama? what proof does he say the questioner is in fact wrong? and not really. it was an uncensored, crazy question. trump handled it okay. could be better. but he is not a politician. emily blunt, the british born actress took plenty of heetd about making these comments for the hollywood reporter.
8:59 am
>> i became an american citizen recently, and that night we watched the republican debate and i thought, this was a terrible mistake. what have i done? >> in fairness, i thought blunt was joking around in that video. but she also said she's an elizabeth warren supporter so we know where she comes from. but she runz the risks of alienating conservatives she must have realizing that before sitting down with a softball interview with savannah guthrie. >> i know you wanted to say your peace about it. >> yeah. it was not the intention to hurt anybody or cause offense. i apologize. it was just an offhand joke. i think i'll leave the political jokes to late night or something. >> that wasn't just an apology, emily blunt also got to promote her new movie. that's it for this edition of "media buzz." i'm howard kurtz. e-mail the show, ask a media
9:00 am
question, make a media comment. i read them aum ill alll, and i respond. we're here next week with the latest buzz. a fox news alert. the first polls are out since the second gop presidential debate. carly fiorina moving all the way up to second place after a strong performance in wednesday's debate. polling at 15%, a huge jump from the 3% support she had earlier this month. hello, everyone. welcome to "america's news headquarters." >> hello, everyone. do there's a reoccurring theme in this race, the top three spots held by political outsiders. donald trump, carly fiorina, ben carson leading the pack. then scott walker is now polling at the below 1%. of course that

509 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on